Protecting your computer from a virus is getting more difficult.
Antivirus software is essential to a computer's ability to fend
off viruses and other malicious programs. These products are
designed to protect against the ability of a virus to enter a
computer through email, web browsers, file servers and desktops.
The programs reviewed below are the best from around the world.
In the United States we are familiar primarily with the Norton
and McAfee Antivirus programs, but there are many good programs
out there that merit serious consideration.
Top 10 Recommended Antivirus Software Programs
Below are my ten top antivirus software programs for 2007.
For a much more detailed comparison chart on these products you
can refer to
1) Editor's Choice: BitDefender Softwin, which owns BitDefender,
has been around since 1990, and boasts an international team of
technical experts who strive to continually improve software and
respond to new threats. 2) Kaspersky Founded in 1997 by Eugene
Kaspersky, the Moscow-based company has had great success
leading the industry in anti-virus protection
3) Norton Anti-Virus Owned by global security giant Symantec,
Norton Antivirus is by far the most popular and widely used
security system in the United States. Norton offers a small
range of products for the home user, small business owner and
large corporation with 1000+ users.
4) McAfee McAfee is another big name in Internet security and a
large competitor for Norton Antivirus, although their prices are
virtually the same.
5) F-Secure Based in Helsinki, Finland, F-Secure has been in the
computer protection business since 1988. The company offers
protection for the family computer, to home office users all the
way up to corporations with large numbers of telecommuters
spread all over the map.
6) Shield Anti-Virus 2007 PCSecurityShield offers protection
against viruses, hackers and privacy threats to help keep you
and your family surfing safely.
7) Protector Plus Proland Software offers virus protection with
its Protector Plus package, compatible with Windows Vista, XP,
Me, 2000 and Netware. Protector Proland is proud of its team of
experienced engineers, who have been working on anti-virus
software and computer protection programs since 1989.
8) DefendGate Canada-based DefendGate offers everything from
protection against viruses and identity theft to office
productivity suites and desktop accelerators.
9) PC DoorGuard This program is PC DoorGuard is designed for
those looking to protect their email from spam, viruses, Trojans
10) CA Antivirus On its website, CA Antivirus says it provides
software to 98 percent of Fortune 500 companies and boasts that
it was the first antivirus software to be awarded certification
with Microsoft Vista in 2007.
Virus Prevention - Steps to take
A computer user should remain diligent and follow a few simple
steps to protect against the threat of a virus:
1. Evaluate your current computer security system. With the
threat of a new generation of viruses able to attack in a
multitude of ways, the approach of having just one antivirus
software version has become outdated.
2. Only install antivirus software created by a well-known,
reputable company. Because new viruses erupt daily, it is
important that you regularly update your antivirus software 3.
Make it a habit to always scan all new programs or files no
matter from where they originate.
4. Exercise caution when opening binary, Word, or Excel
documents of unknown sources especially if they were received
during an online chat or as an attachment to an email.
5. Perform regular backups in case your system is corrupted. It
may be the only way to recover your data if infected.
(c) 2007 Zunio.com
About the author:
Sue Dingerson writes computer software reviews for consumers.
For a more detailed review click on href="http://www.zunio.com/comparisons/antivirus_review_article.h
tml">Zunio.com 2007 Antivirus Software Review