Software that sends information about your Web surfing habits to its Web site. Often quickly installed in your computer in combination with a free download you selected from the Web, spyware transmits information in the background as you move around the Web. Also known as "parasite software," "scumware," "junkware" and "thiefware," spyware is occasionally installed just by visiting a Web site
What's signal your computer is infected spyware. ?
1. see pop-up advertisements all the time.
2. settings have changed and I can't change them back to the way they were
3. web browser contains additional components that I don't remember downloading.
4. computer seems sluggish.
How to prevent your computer from spyware ?
1. Enable a firewall
2. Update your software
3. Tune your Internet Explorer secuiry settings, Microsoft recommends that you set the security settings for the Internet zone to Medium or higher.
4. Download and install antispyware protection
5. Surf and download more safely